Sleep is vital to our health and well being. Believe it or not our mental and bodily functionality is determined by sleep. Lack of sleep can take its toll on you. That brings me to my next question. How well do you sleep? Casper (the start up that designed the perfect mattress, sheets and pillow) has shared their Better Sleep Month project with me, and I absolutely love it. Lets be honest, most of us do not get adequate sleep. More-so our sleep quality is more than likely slacking. One out of every three people suffer from insomnia (according to the Sleep Help Foundation). When Casper reached out to me about their Better Sleep Month project, they shared with me several few pledge cards that are for their project. They depict common sleep problems and solutions. After taking a look at them, I was taken aback by how many of these I actually identify with! But out of all of them, I would say that I am victim to the following four.
1) Busy Mind. This is one hundred percent me. I have so many things on my mind throughout the day, and once in bed it seems to get worse. Have you ever had a completely random train of thought that had NOTHING to do with anything? I do that a lot. I like the solution of creating a bedtime ritual. Ive been considering doing yoga for some time, and I think this would be the perfect opportunity for me to get started. I've actually seen several bedtime poses. I pledge to start yoga tonight for my body and mind.
2) Anxiety- I have severe anxiety, and this ties in a lot with number 1 with a busy mind. A lot of the thoughts in my mid are worries and unnecessary stresses. I absolutely think that yoga alone would help with anxiety and a busy mind, but I really like the idea of meditation. I think it would go very well with yoga. I definitely want to try meditating at night. I pledge to meditate at night, more than likely once I'm laying in bed when its dark and quiet.
3) Noise- Okay, this is a difficult area for me. I hear things a lot. That's a post for a different day, but lets say that it affects me a lot. Aside from that, being in an apartment, I have to contend with having neighbors in close proximity. Although My apartment is on the top floor, our downstairs neighbors are extremely loud. They have children that run around and scream at all hours of the night. The way that our apartment is built, our floors vibrate when they are running. I don't like sleeping with earplugs (I honestly don't like earplugs in general) But I have developed a habit of covering my face with a large pillow. This has definitely helped with hearing noises around my apartment. It may seem weird, but it actually is quite comforting.
4) Not tired- I am extremely guilty of this one. First let me say that when I was younger, I didn't want a TV in my bedroom. But after getting married, we ended up having one in there. I was against it for a while, but then it became convenient. Football game on in the living room, I would just go lay in bed and watch TV. We added an Xbox 360 back there and I would play video games in bed. At night after getting things ready for the next day, We get in bed and watch TV for 30 minutes to an hour and then turn it off. But after that, I spend some time on my phone checking social media, playing games, watching cat videos....y'know, important stuff. I know that playing around with electronics is not a great thing when you're about to attempt sleeping. The activity is really stimulating, which is counter productive to even laying down in the first place. I pledge to keep my phone out of reach and stay off electronics before going to bed.
Can you identify with any of the above mentioned sleep problems? Below there are four more pledge cards that were sent to me. Do you identify with any of these? I've pledged to change my night time routine in four ways. Who else will take the pledge to have better, healthier sleep? I encourage you to visit www.casper.com and take a look at the mattresses, pillows and sheets that they Carry. Healthy sleep is important, let them help you achieve the best sleep you've ever had.
* www.casper.com reached out to me, but the above opinions are mine and mine alone.
lotsa love to ya!
Evon is a lifestyle blogger based in Massachusetts. She has a passion for nerd culture, food and movies. To find out more about Evon, and this blog, take a look at the About Me page!